Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Knock Knock






Sometimes what you need comes and knocks on your door. Bakerworks Construction was knocking on doors in our neighborhood a few weeks ago offering all types of house renovations from kitchens to decks, no job is too small. Hmm. I've need shelves in my basement for a couple of years now, this seems to be as good a time as any.
I unfortunately have not had much exposure to building things myself, no one in my family has ever built anything that I can recall. My beloved does not have experience in that department either (he's an awesome cook and bass player though). My friend Jason, who is in the band Red Collar, promises he'll show me how to use different saws when he gets a break from touring. I can foresee needing these skills when building my future kiln. My first lesson, the jigsaw, should be soon, maybe at the end of July. Until then, I'll use Bakerworks.

In two half days the guys turned my basement into an efficient workspace. What a change it has made! Why didn't I do this before now? This renovation tripled my space for ware boards. It also forced a much needed organization of the space. My wheel is now stable and at the proper height. The guys used wood that was left by the previous owner of our house. I like the weathered rustic feel it gives. Check out the before and after pictures. The before pictures are obviously at the bottom. Actually I'm a little embarrassed by the before pictures now, but it makes the after look that much better.
Bakerworks did an awesome job, I'd recommend them to anyone that needs work done.
Oh, and no I don't work in a prison. There are bars on the windows in the basement to deter burglars.

5 comments:

  1. excellent! Looks like we're on the same page!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good move Julie, can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks good... need to get with the shelf making myself

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie...that looks great! The wheel shouldn't be any problem to get a little closer either...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alex,
    You are right, the wheel should be closer to me. I think I can get that adjusted and I will be much happier. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete