Thursday, February 26, 2009
Well, that's probably a little dramatic. All the lids that I made last night have been destroyed during the trimming process. Many things to learn from this situation. First thing being don't make pots the night before for class. Next lesson, watch the dryness of the pots and lids more closely. I think the lids were too soft, therefore they did not hold up when a trim tool was applied to them. Get the shape of the lids more like the finished product when throwing them. I thought I could leave tons of extra clay at the bottom and trim it away. No, the less trimming needed the better. Stop trying so hard and also lighten up! I've only made 15 of these lids in my pottery career and it takes about a thousand to get them perfect. If I still have these problems on lid number 500, then I should worry about my throwing skills. It has been disappointing that I still have not made a single teapot from this teapot workshop. I feel it's better to get the parts right before fitting them all together. You can't have a great teapot if the lid does not fit or it is trimmed wonky. You gotta crawl before you can walk. I'm gonna go crawl with some more lids today. At least the teapot class has me working toward a goal. I'll get there someday.