Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Art in Clay Exhibit at Old Salem



I enjoyed an impromptu field trip today to Old Salem Museum and Gardens, after doing some part time pharmacy work. I've wanted to visit for years now but have never had a good opportunity until today. They currently have an amazing exhibit until August 14, 2011, "Art in Clay: Masterworks of North Carolina Earthenware". It is a ground-breaking exhibit that features approximately 120 pieces of masterfully decorated slipware, sculptural bottles, refined creamware and faience that are but part of the rich artistic legacy of North Carolina's first earthenware potters. I had the best day, looking at slip trailed pots, snacking on Moravian sugar cake. Sometimes you need a day like today to take it easy and get inspired. Now I'm even more psyched about this weekend's workshop in Shelby, NC featuring Hannah McAndrew and Doug Fitch. I feel it was serendipitous that I had free time today to see these wonderful pieces right before my slip trailing workshop. Look for many slip trailed pieces to come! Sorry, there is no sugar cake left to share.






Below is potter Michael Fox making an ink well.






These nice gentlemen are cutting my freshly baked sugar cake.










2 comments:

  1. I love Old Salem, we took the kids last summer. How timely to see these beautiful slip trailed pots! I'm hoping to go to Hannah and Doug's workshop on Saturday. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got to go see that exhibition!! I wish Doug and Hannah would have had more time to go too.

    ReplyDelete